This is an appetizer that is incredibly easy to make, but won’t last very long. You need about a half a pound of walleye cheeks — the little medallion of meat located right under the fishes eye, otherwise known as the “cheek”. While on a recent trip to fish with Dunlap’s Charter Service on Lake Erie, I was served this awesome treat by Captain Gary “Turbo” Mol, owner and operator of Dunlap’s. So to pay homage to the man behind this treasure, I call this one Garlic Walleye “Turbo” Cheeks.
– Half pound of walleye cheeks (or 12-18 fish)
– 1 stick of salted butter
– Half cup of fresh minced garlic
– Half cup of Italian bread crumbs
– Half cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Melt the butter in a large frying pan, and sautee the cheeks for about 5 minutes on medium heat
2. Add the minced garlic and sautee and stir for another 5 minutes
3. Begin to add and stir in the bread crumbs until the ingredients thicken into a paste
4. Remove from heat and sprinkle fresh mozzarella cheese over everything
5. Serve on crackers and eat
6. Call Turbo and thank him by booking a walleye trip, ha ha!
Here’s his website: LakeErieWalleye.com.
More pix and instructions…